Masó House is the outcome of the merging of four separate dwellings, acquired by the Masó Valentí family between the mid-19th century and the early 20th century. Today’s interiors are the result of the renovation work carried out by Rafael Masó between 1911 and 1919, at the same time as he unified the facades. In 2006 the house was donated to the City of Girona and is managed by the Rafael Masó Foundation.
VisitCasa Masó is open all year round, except local and national holidays. Entry into the house is by guided tour only. Advance reservations are highly recommended (by phone, email or web). On Sundays and Mondays visits are exclusively for groups of at least 20 people.
Rafael MasóRafael Masó i Valentí (1880-1935) was one of the most outstanding Catalan architects of the early 20th century. Masó was born in Girona into a refined, conservative, Catholic family of Catalanist ideology. The personality and professional career of the future architect were marked by the cultured atmosphere of his home, created by his father’s literary and artistic interests, as well as his own love of Girona city and its traditions. Masó was an admirer of Antoni Gaudí but, as a student in Barcelona, he joined the group of artists and writers who were to forge Noucentisme, the movement that developed as an alternative to Modernisme. The civic spirit, the Catalanist outlook, and the forward-looking, pro-European ideas prevailing within the new movement inspired the young Masó, who was also to become a distinguished poet, urban planner, politician, and promoter of art and literature.
Rafael Masó lived in the Masó House until 1912, the year of his marriage to Esperança Bru. The bulk of his work was carried out in Girona, and his buildings are mainly in the city and the surrounding area. He designed houses, villas and apartment blocks, as well as many other types of buildings, ranging from schools and hospitals to shops and factories. He was also involved in renovating farmhouses and restoring medieval architecture. His most outstanding works include the Teixidor Flour Mill (1910), the Masó House (1911), and the Athenea cultural centre (1912), all in Girona; the Masramon House (1913) in Olot, the Casas House (1914) in Sant Feliu de Guíxols, and S’Agaró garden city (1923).